Friday, December 6, 2013

Skeleton Crew

Okay, I need to fess up about this book and the reason that it took me so long to read it.  I ordered a copy from the library in August, then when it didn't turn up, did some quick investigating and learned that:

1) There was only one copy at the library;
2) It was reported missing.

So that put me behind by a few weeks.

Then I ordered a copy from Amazon and started reading.  I had read this book before (summer of 1994, to be exact) and some stories I remembered well.  For instance, the leading story, 'The Mist.'  You can probably guess that it terrified me.  Soon after reading it, I found myself walking around a strange city somewhat late at night and that terrified me even more, because what if a mist suddenly rolled in with the accompanying terrifying monsters?  Naturally, that was not very likely, but you know how it is.

I also remembered a few more, like 'The Monkey,' particularly because I had the older copy of the book with the monkey toy on the cover:

This one
I also remember 'The Monkey' being pretty predictable and not that great, which was true in this rereading as well.  In fact, I did not remember all that many stories, and I have concluded that the reason for this is that several are not very good.  Here is my assessment:

Very good stories: 'The Mist' (don't read if you live in a foggy area); 'Mrs. Todd's Shortcut' (I feel like this one really tends to stick with people, it is a fun story); 'Survivor Type' (sort of a proto-Misery, only ickier); 'Nona' (sort of predictable but still good); 'The Reach,' 'Word Processor of the Gods,' 'Ballad of the Flexible Bullet,' 'Gramma,' 'The Jaunt.'

Stories that made me want to put the book down and possibly never ever read it again and OH MY GOD HOW PAINFUL WAS THAT: 'The Wedding Gig' (WHY??????) and 'The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands.'  Conclusion: I do not like stories that go to that gentleman's club in New York that is also featured in Different Seasons.

Stories that were meh: everything else in the book.  'The Raft' especially.

So that is my assessment: a mixed bag.  The good stories really are very good and if you have never read 'The Mist,' you really should.  Some fine stuff.  But I officially give you permission to skip over ones that you find to be less than intriguing.  They don't get any better.

Anyway, that is why it took me so long to get to this one, even though I had been trying to since August.  I promise that this was not solely an attempt to procrastinate from the next book.  Honest.  Even though the next book is.......

What have I got myself into here???

No comments:

Post a Comment