Friday, January 3, 2014

The Eyes of the Dragon

The Eyes of the Dragon was one of my favorite Stephen King books when I was younger.  It wasn't scary, it was relatively short, and it was a fun adventure story.  I reread it in 2005, just because I felt like it one day and ran out to buy a copy.  In the most recent rereading of it, I again enjoyed it, and I think that it makes a great 'short' novella after IT--remembering, of course, that SK's novellas in Different Seasons were written after completing his major books. 

This time around, I was very much reminded of 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption' because I think that the two stories operate in very similar ways.  Both are, of course, about a man who is jailed because of a crime that he didn't commit.  But SK uses several of the same techniques too.  He gives clues about what will happen in advance, so if you are paying close attention you might put everything together.  Both men come up with elaborate plans (that rely on gifts) to make their escapes.  Eyes of the Dragon is intended for a younger audience--specifically King and Straub's kids--which I think changes the overall tone. There is also a dog as a major character in the form of Frisky, which is an idea that will stick around for SK too, particularly with the introduction of Oy in The Waste Lands.

Also worth noting, of course, is the return of Flagg, who hasn't been around for a while.  In fact, I think his last definitive appearance was in The Gunslinger (....or was it?  If you read the original, maybe not.  If you read the revised 2003 version, probably), and he was obliquely hinted at in 'Children of the Corn.'  Flagg will be back in a big way, of course, in the Dark Tower series.  In this novel, Flagg even has moments where he resembled It: he bares his teeth, he smells monstrous (according to Frisky), he poisons the sewers, and SK even refers to him as It at one point.  Not quite the same, but a terrifying monster nonetheless.

In sum, quick read, fun stuff, great adventure.  I still like this one a lot.  In fact, I am surprised that it has not been adapted, seems like it would be pretty easy to make it a compelling movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment